Requirements for Certified Copies (Birth, Death, Marriage)
- Information must be requested in writing or in person. (Information regarding vital records can not be given over the phone.)
- Certified copies are only available to the person on record or blood relative. (Contact the Recorder's Office for the specifics on blood relative.)
- Photo identification
Birth records for Muscatine County are available for years 1880 to 1920 and 1942 to present. The records for the years 1921 to 1941 are on file at the Iowa Department of Public Health. Adoptee's birth certificates and births to unwed mothers, prior to 1990, are on file with the Iowa Department of Public Health. Only those from 1990 forward are available at the county level.
Death records for Muscatine County are available for years 1880 to 1918 and 1942 to current. The records for the years 1919 to 1941 are on file with the Iowa Department of Public Health.
Marriage records for Muscatine County are available for the years 1838 to 1920 and 1942 to present. The records for the years 1921 through 1941 are on file with the Iowa Department of Public Health
Requirements for Marriage License and Certificate to Marry
- The 2 parties intending to marry and one witness (all 18 years or older) must sign the application before a notary
- Photo identification is required for all parties
- $35 fee (cash only)
- There is a 3 day waiting period once the application is received at the Recorder's Office before the actual marriage may occur.
- Persons age 16 and 17, or anyone wishing to waive the 3 day waiting period need to contact the Recorder's Office for additional instructions.
- Application to Marry in Iowa form is available in the County Recorder's office.
OFFICIANT'S BROCHURE ~ Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Health Statistics
Magistrates in Muscatine County Who Perform Marriage Ceremonies
You will need to contact the magistrate for details about the wedding ceremony.
Genealogy research is not done by the Recorder's Office. To obtain genealogy information you may email Eleanor (Lynn) McCleary, call 563-264-1495, or mail:
Muscatine Genealogy Society
2906 Provence Lane
Muscatine, IA 52761